By some strange coincidence, I ended up becoming vegan after moving to Madrid several years ago. I was never sad about giving up Jamón or the various other meat delicacies found across España, but my heart broke when I realized I couldn't eat the famous Spanish tortilla. Tortilla is similar to a potato and egg omelette - sometimes cooked with onions as well. After years of searching for a decent vegan tortilla and coming up completely empty handed, I decided to start experimenting with recipes to satisfy my taste my craving for this classic Spanish dish. With much experimenting, I have perfected my recipe for all my fellow vegan/dairy free tortilla lovers!
3/4 cup of garbanzo bean flower - if you cant find garbanzo bean flour, you can substitute wheat flower
3/4 cup of beer (choose your favorite beer!)
1/3 cup of water
20 grams of yucca root powder
4 large potatoes
Olive oil to cook fry in
Salt to flavor
- Cut the raw potatoes in thin, round slices. If you prefer, peel the potatoes first. I like to keep the skins on because it is the part of the potato that contains the most nutrients.
- Throw a splash of olive oil in a medium sized frying pan and put the stove on medium heat.
- Cut the onion in two halves, then slice it julian style.
- When the oil is hot, throw in the sliced potatoes and fry until they are all covered in oil.
- Add the onion and fry until light brown alone with the potatoes.
- Turn off the stove and put the pan aside.
- In a big bowl or a mixer, add the garbanzo bean flour, yucca root powder, a pinch of salt, then water, and beer.
- Stir the ingredients until they are mixed together well.
- Now, take the pan with the fried potatoes and onion and pour the contents of the pan in the bowl with the batter. Mix until potatoes and onions are evenly distributed in the batter.
- Put a new pan on the stove to heat with a dash of oil in order to cook the tortilla inside.
- Once the pan is heated well (4-6 minutes), evenly pour the content from the bowl into the pan. Put the heat on low and leave the tortilla to cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Now take a plate and place it on top of the pan then flip the pan over onto the plate so that the tortilla falls face down on the plate (graphic above)
- Now slide the tortilla facedown back onto the pan and cook it for 3-5 more minutes until the center is cooked.
- Flip the tortilla onto a plate as in step 12 and serve your delicious vegan tortilla!